Friday, May 15, 2009

Luke likes cows but not their milk.....

I was so excited to finally get rid of formula. I was tired of trying to find the best deal because it is so expensive and then making sure that we always had plenty and then having to mix it with water everytime. So, after our visit with our dr. he told me to go on ahead and put Luke on whole milk. I was so excited....no mixing, cheaper and easy to buy with weekly groceries! Well, I tried a little at a time and I was noticing that he was beginning to break out around his mouth. Sunday night I gave him a sippy of milk and he was not interested in drinking it so I decided to see if it was the milk or if he was just missing his bottles so I put the whole milk in his bottle and watched him gulp it down. About half way through the bottle I looked over (he was sitting in the highchair) and he had a rash (looked like hives) from his eyes down to his mouth. So, I took the bottle away and made him a formula bottle to finish off and then called the dr. first thing on Monday morning. Of course they told me to not give him any more cow's milk and we are on soy milk. I was a little disappointed but I am still glad we are off of formula. We are trying things like cheese, yogurt and ice cream one at a time to see if they cause any type of reaction since he seems to be allergic to milk and eggs.

1 comment:

Carla said...

How frustrating!! Ahhh... I gave Leslie one serving of milk yesterday and she has had some SERIOUS gas and diaper issues :).