Thursday, June 4, 2009
Whey seems to be the problem...
I have posted in recent blogs about Luke and his allergies. We knew that he was allergic to eggs and cow's milk but he breaks out to some other foods. He can eat the lil crunchy puffs cheddar cheese without breaking out in hives but he ate the tomato flavor and broke out in hives. So after doing some research I found that the tomato puffs have whey powder in them but the cheddar cheese did not. Tonight we made mac and cheese for the kids and Luke ate a few bites and he broke out in hives....guess what...the mac and cheese had whey in it. Apparently there are two proteins in milk that causes allergies and whey is one. I don't think he is allergic to the other protein caseins because he can eat sharp cheddar cheese and not break out (which is why I tried the mac and cheese). FYI: Hard cheeses like cheddar do not have whey in them because the whey is the watery part of the milk which is pushed out when cheese hardens like cheddar. I guess I will become a label reader. He is still allergic to eggs so he is limited in what he can eat. Although the food thing is frustrating...Luke is having so much fun. In the past week he has developed a love for walking. He is walking all over the place with no assistance which make playing outside so much fun because he doesn't scrap his knees. If anyone has any information about whey or egg allergies I would love to get more information so I can make sure that I am giving him the correct foods.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Well, that's good that you figured it out! I have a couple of friends that have kids with a bunch of food allergies. I'll see if any of them have any info that might be helpful. Eggs and whey will be tricky, but it could be so much worse...we had some neighbors at our old house whose kids are allergic to more than they are not allergic to. All wheat, eggs, soy, milk, corn, melons, berries, some veggies, some meat, etc. And, somehow, they lead a perfectly normal life...they just have their little food routine down and always pack their own snacks for parties and stuff.
So once you get used to it, it will probably not even phase you.
Will he probably outgrow them?
Post a Comment